These are the steps to set up a minimal virtual network based on OpenVSwith for the use with OpenNebula:
- Install packages:# apt-get install openvswitch-switch
- create file in /etc/sudoers.d/openvswitch, so that the oneadmin user can create virtual network components using the ovs-vsctl and ovs-ofctl commands:
%oneadmin ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl %oneadmin ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/ovs-ofctl
- Do not map a physical device to the bridge device in the standard Linux network layer!your minimal network configuration in /etc/network/interfaces should look similar to this:
auto lo etho br0 iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet manual iface br0 inet dhcp
This example uses a single physical interface. Extend for the use with multiple physical and/or bonded devices. But do no assign a physical device to the bridge. This is accomplished by OpenVirtualsSwitch in the next step.
- Configured the bridge, using the openvswitch commands: (example for the NIC eth0)
# ovs-vsctl add-br br0 # ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0
- Re-register your hosts with OpenVSwitch as network solution
- Re-create your virtual networks with ovswitch as type and decive via VLAN = YES/NO whether you want Isolation or not.Edit:(sage) Some clarification and reordering.